Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Homemade Choc. Syrup for Coffee

Is anyone else feeling like Fall is here? It was below 40 degrees when I woke up this morning and after a HOT summer it felt nice to throw on a sweater and a scarf. :)

Autumn always gives me cravings for yummy cappuccinos and mocha coffees. They are my weakness...

Me, drinking coffee with my cardigan and scarf..

Coffee and Cardigans :) Yay, Fall!

Unfortunately, our budget does not allow me to pick up a $3-4 coffee everyday, even though there are 3 different coffee places within 2 blocks of my work! Does anybody feel my pain?

Our office does have a Keurig machine, but those are also expensive to buy when you have a cup a day!

I do have a cappuccino machine that I inherited from my mom when she stopped drinking coffee (Yay!). Yet, it still costs probably $.50 a day to make a 'cafe con miel' (coffee with honey), or a full on mocha.

So, my mission was to find a cheap (read: PENNIES a day) way to indulge my coffee cravings. The solution is homemade chocolate syrup!



Hot coffee. Yummmm.......

It is seriously easy to make this stuff for yourself! Wish I would have known THAT in college!

First, whisk your unsweetened cocoa in with the sugar. Try to get most of the clumps out.


Add the water and a pinch of salt. Okay, now on low to medium heat stir the cocoa mix. 


 See my wooden spoon? Do not try to whisk the water into the cocoa! I repeat, DO NOT! I did this the first time I made the syrup and it ended up with a thick light colored foam on top... There will still be a slight foam when you use a wooden spoon, but not like when you whisk it.


Ahhh.. the amazingness of chocolate.. So versatile. So delicious.

Make sure to heat the syrup until the sugar is all melted. Otherwise it could end up gritty. Blah.



Pouring the syrup into hot coffee... (sorry for the blurry photo: i need a new camera!)

Make regular hot (or iced) coffee and throw in some better-than-Hershey's chocolate syrup. It tastes Starbucks or Caribou worthy. 


Homemade Chocolate Syrup

Makes about 8 oz.

1/2 c. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1/2 c. White Sugar (a little more if you like it sweet)
1/2 c. Water
Pinch of salt

Whisk cocoa and sugar in a small saucepan until there are no clumps left. Add water and salt. Stir constantly over low-medium heat. Heat until sauce is no longer gritty from sugar. Cool slightly and store covered in fridge.

You can also add this to milk, pour over vanilla ice cream, top some yummy brownies with it, etc....




No comments:

Post a Comment