Sunday, June 9, 2013

Fresh Smoothie Recipe!

I hope everyone's Sunday has been great so far! On this end, neither me nor my husband are feeling well. Unfortunately, we both have some type of head cold. Yuck.

We are working on getting rid of these with lots of rest and sleep, steam from the shower to break up the congestion and nasty stuff in our sinuses, and lots of fruit and veggies to get our body back on track! After all, the immune system doesn't work properly if it's not getting the right nutrients!

One of the best ways to get your fruit and veggies is a smoothie. Full of spinach and fruit, the smoothies we have been drinking are the quickest way to get our calcium, vitamin C, folic acid, and lots of other micronutrients! Even better? Baby seems to like them just as much as me! :)

So grab that blender and make one with me!


We have a Ninja, which we love because of the multiple blade action! There are 6 blades that are spaced halfway up the pitcher which means, no stirring!


Grab your veggies and fruit. I used spinach, cucumber, parsley (which I grabbed from my plant outside), bananas, an apple, strawberries, and blueberries. 



Start with your veggies and hard fruits, you want to blend those the most. Fill your container with spinach, don't worry it will NOT be too much! I promise!


Cut a big chunk of cucumber, a little more that this if you really like the taste.


Make sure to chop it into smaller pieces like this before adding it.


Do the same with your apple. Then add about a half cup of cold water and blend that baby like you mean it! 


See? I told you it wouldn't be too much spinach :)


Add your fresh parsley. A big handful. Don't worry, you won't even taste this!

Another bonus of getting your 5 (or more) a day in? It helps your body rid itself of heavy metals like mercury and lead.

Parsley is especially helpful in eliminating mercury and also helps alleviate bloat and water retention! Perfect for a pregnant lady ;)

Now add that fruit!


I use frozen berries in my smoothies for two reasons: 1. Because fresh berries don't last long in our house :)  
2. Frozen produce retains nutrients and enzymes just as well, if not better, than fresh produce!


I used about 3/4 cup of strawberries and 1/2 cup of blueberries.


Last add your bananas. They add SO much creaminess to your smoothie. DO NOT forget these!

I know some people like to add milk or other dairy products to their smoothies. Try to resist the urge. Dairy creates a mucus layer along your digestive tract. This can act as a barrier against nutrients trying to get in! 

The biggest reason for a smoothie is to get the most nutrients in a small amount of time, so dairy negates the benefits! 

Trust me, with two bananas your smoothie will be smooth and creamy without the dairy!


Yum.


Scrape down the sides and give it another pulse.


Now, doesn't that smoothie just taste amazing? :)



No comments:

Post a Comment